It’s winter here in Ohio as I write this post. I’m cold. It gets dark too early. I’m getting desperate for an escape of some kind from the dark, chilly doldrums of winter. I walked in the house the other day and saw a pile of fresh fruit on the counter, and realized there was only one way to have an escape (even if it was just momentary). I needed a drink.
My propane tank was full, and there wasn’t a pile of snow on the grill – I need to make a Grilled Paloma. I’ve seen the drink around a few times, and haven’t ever gotten a chance to fire one up for myself, this was the perfect opportunity to make this wonderful summery drink.
I’ve got to warn you in advance… the prep before you get pouring is a little involved. You’ll need a drink while you make your drink. Pour a beer and let’s get to it!
Note: This recipe is for one drink. You’ll want more than one.
- Get your grill hot. Get it as hot as you can.
- Cut (1)lime and (1)grapefruit in halves.
- Fill a bowl or dish with some sugar.
- Dip each half (cut side down) of the fruit into the sugar, thoroughly coating.
- Throw them on the grill, with the sugar side down and grill until you’ve got a nice crust on the sugar.
- Bring the fruit inside and let it cool down.
- Juice it all up.
Now… on to the drink itself.
- 2oz – Grilled Grapefruit Juice
- 3/4oz – Grilled Lime Juice
- 2oz – Silver Tequila
- 1/2 oz – Agave Nectar
- 1oz – Club Soda
- Salt the rim of a highball glass, and fill it with ice.
- Add the juices, Tequila and Agave Nectar into a shaker and shake the crap out of it.
- Pour over the ice in the highball, and top with the ounce of Club Soda.
- Insert Straw and enjoy!